Many of you began 2024 with goals and New Year’s resolutions (resolutions that are quickly broken). To help you develop into a better leader, create a leadership journal using your computer, phone, or yes, even paper. Pour a cup of coffee and ask yourself the following questions:
- What do I believe about leadership?
- What is my motivation for leading?
- Write down the names of the good and bad leaders you have worked for or been around, and why they fall into one of two categories.
- Jot down your past leadership experiences and include the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- As you progress through 2024 continue to update your Leadership Journal and periodically take time to reflect on what you have written.
Moving forward from this point, it is important to have the right tools in place. Next week, I’ll address that topic in more detail.
In the meantime, click the link and learn more about Tailboard Talks and how you can be part of a group of like-minded firefighters and fire officers to assist in your personal growth and development, Individual Officer Development Options – Fire Officer Leadership Academy.